Roundup: Yoga DVDs for Weight Loss
Yoga is a fantastic–and can be gentle–way to shed pounds and get fit.
While Yoga isn’t traditionally associated with more ferocious calorie burning activities like aerobics, spinning or kickboxing, the gentle and low-impact nature of yoga combines extremely well with a longer-term approach to weight loss.
Basically, don’t expect to lose all the weight you want to lose as fast as possible by relying on yoga DVDs for weight loss, but if you stay persistent and committed, you’ll reap a ton of benefits AND you’ll be more flexible, grounded and peaceful as well. The many benefits of yoga will conspire to help you not only shed the pounds but keep them off. Perseverance is the name of the game here, but you can do it! And these DVDs will help you on your way.
- This DVD is one of my favorite ones for focusing on losing a few pounds. It’s interactive, which means you get to really customize your routine and focus on the areas that need work. It’s great for beginners, but also has some more advanced routines and poses for the more veteran yogi. More of the gorgeous beach filming, which really helps to get you in the yoga mood.
- Trudie Styler’s Weight Loss Yoga
Trudie Styler teaches four different yoga workouts on this DVD from Gaiam. Trudie does a good job of keeping the workout intense and fat-burning without things getting out of hand. You get the relaxation benefits of yoga and the fat-burning benefits of a great workout. Definitely give this one a shot if you’re focused on practicing yoga for weight loss.
- Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss
There are four different instructors demonstrating throughout the program, each providing a unique modification of the same poses. What I like about this one is that it can be practiced at all levels of experience, fitness and flexibility. All the options of are there with the modifications for each level. I found this dvd to be challenging enough without being overwhelming. I loved the scenic background of the Oak Creek Canyon and found the whole experience to be energizing and yet relaxing at the same time.
- The Biggest Loser: The Workout – Weight Loss Yoga
Honestly it was the name of the DVD that first grabbed my attention, but it turned out to be a pretty great Yoga DVD, especially if you’re just new to the practice. Bob instructs you as if you are completely new to yoga, which ends up being a good thing for everybody. It just really brings you back to your alignment and focusing on the right way of getting into a pose. The menus on this DVD are interactive, which means you can tailor the experience just for you. If you want some weight loss action, this is definitely a good option.
- Fat Free Yoga
Kundalini Yoga teachers Ana Brett and Ravi Singh team up for a powerful yoga workout designed to get your blood flowing, your metabolism cruising and your body slim and healthy. Four different sections take you from warm-up to an intensive workout for your glands, and the whole DVD brims with fun. Highly recommended.
- Budokon for Weight Loss – With Self-Empowerment CDYears ago I was really into martial arts, kickboxing in particular, and although I don’t practice it anymore I still think it’s an amazing way to shape up and lose weight. What I like about this particular DVD is that it has a little bit of everything: martial arts, yoga, nutrition plans, meditation, and a self-empowerment CD to keep you feeling positive.